17/02/2012

Violet’s market debut

Since this post was very nearly titled ‘Violet’s Violent End’, I thought I’d take her to the market for some sunshine and dumplings to celebrate our sewing triumph. We had a lovely time, V and I, while my bro crept behind the stalls, stalker-style and papped us…

… fondling vegetables….
…playing dress-ups…
…and demolishing dumplings (that’s my do not disturb face)

I almost gave up on Colette pattern Violet. Let me see… this was meant to be a muslin for something a bit more exciting, but I hoped it might be a wearable one. I found this great 90’s dress at the thrift store with something like New Woman on the tag, and paired it with chambray for a contrasting collar. It all came together beautifully, as you can expect of a Colette pattern. I even combatted the high-ish neckline by taking it in at the waist and sides so it’s a slim fit instead of a relaxed (boxy) style. Everything was looking pretty peachy from the front. But when I turned to the side…

…there were giant ripples pooling at the lower back. There’s no doubt I have a sway back but so far I’ve never come face to face with it sewing. Of course I did what any rookie sewer would do and tried to gather the problem area in with elastic. Not only did it do nothing for said ripples, it created more of them, now at the sides. Gah! I turned to my trusty Colette Sewing Handbook for guidance and committed the unmentionable┬ápost-finished-garment-sway-back-adjustment!┬áBasically, I pinched two inches of fabric out, sewed a curved line across and by some miracle my crime against sewing is camouflaged by the pink stripe in the center back. YES!! Another lucky sewing break.

The pattern is now fitted with a proper sway back adjustment ready for V no.2. It was just so fun and cutesy to wear that I think I wouldn’t mind a few of these gals in my hand-made wardrobe.


( ! ) Parse error: syntax error, unexpected end of file in /app/public/wp-content/themes/adaspragg/relatedposts.php on line 32